Yesterday, I shared my choice on what I plan to do with the doorways within the again entry of the studio. If you happen to missed that, you’ll be able to learn out it right here. Since my thought is a bit more difficult than simply buying a quart of paint and portray a couple of doorways, I’m giving myself time to determine precisely the best way to go about getting the look I need. So within the meantime, I made a decision to do some demolition on the studio half rest room to get it prepared for its new wallpaper.
However now I’m within the course of of creating some adjustments in order that the lavatory will move higher with my new imaginative and prescient for my studio. I’ve already repainted the self-importance, painted the ground, and designed a brand new wallpaper that may go on the partitions. That wallpaper seems to be like this…
So when that is completed, the lavatory will find yourself being each bit as colourful as it’s now, however I feel it is going to coordinate a lot better with what’s happening in the principle a part of the studio.
A couple of weeks in the past, I made a decision to interchange the yellow accent tile with a reed-type design utilizing dowel rods. I spent numerous time eradicating the yellow tiles in half of the lavatory, after which slicing and sanding items of dowel rods and gluing them to the wall.
That was a enjoyable undertaking, and I might like to see it accomplished, however I made a decision that it simply wasn’t proper for this rest room. So final night time, I spend a while popping these off of the wall with somewhat 5-inch prybar.
I began out utilizing my warmth gun to melt the glue earlier than prying them off, however that turned out to be actually messy and sticky. I discovered that there was truly no must warmth the glue earlier than eradicating the dowels. They popped off the wall fairly simply and cleanly with out the usage of the warmth gun.
The identical can’t be stated for the yellow tiles, although. The half of the room during which I had already taken the yellow tiles off of the partitions had three large gouges within the drywall from me prying these tiles off of the wall. I didn’t trouble patching them earlier than gluing on the dowels, however now that my plans have modified, they usually’ll be lined by nothing however wallpaper or paint, I’ll should restore them.
So once I began eradicating the tiles from the opposite half of the room. I used the warmth gun. The tiles had been utilized to the wall utilizing Easy Mat adhesive sheets from Dwelling Depot. And let me inform ya, these issues are sticky! On the primary half of the room, I used to be utilizing a giant prybar and a hammer to get the tiles off of the wall, and people issues didn’t need to come off. That’s why I left three large gouges within the drywall.
However utilizing the warmth gun to take away them made issues a lot simpler. I used to be in a position to get the second half of the tiles (and the sticky sheets) off of the partitions with no injury to the drywall.
It did peel off numerous primer and paint from the drywall, which has left numerous very uneven areas that may should be mudded over and sanded easy earlier than I can transfer on with paint and wallpaper, however that’s fairly easy.
Now that I’ve determined to take away the accent and chair rail, I’ll have the ability to have a full apron on the window trim. As a result of the chair rail got here up so excessive, I’ve had this tiny little 1-inch apron sandwiched between the window sill and the chair rail all these years. That’s a kind of issues that actually irritated me, however I didn’t actually have some other alternative if I needed a chair rail.
However now that the chair rail is gone, there might be loads of room for a full apron. It’ll look so a lot better!
The trim across the mirror, which was accomplished precisely just like the window and door trim, was additionally lacking an apron.
Though there might be loads of room for an apron now, I’ve determined to take away it utterly and discover a good framed mirror to make use of on this room as a substitute.
After I did this rest room (and the hallway rest room) years in the past, I beloved the concept of framing out the mirrors to match the home windows and doorways. However I’m prepared to maneuver previous that look now. I need to maintain the window and door trim on the home windows and doorways, after which take the chance to usher in somewhat additional one thing with the mirrors.
Sadly, I glued this mirror on to the wall, so I’m positive getting it off will trigger some injury that may want restore.
So issues on this rest room appear like a whole mess proper now, nevertheless it has to worsen earlier than it will get higher. I’m very glad it’s a tiny rest room, so despite the fact that the partitions will want some restore earlier than I can wallpaper, at the least I don’t have numerous space to cowl. I’m simply actually excited to lastly get the wallpaper on the partitions! I’ve had the wallpaper for weeks, and I’m able to see some progress on it.
Addicted 2 Adorning is the place I share my DIY and adorning journey as I transform and adorn the 1948 fixer higher that my husband, Matt, and I purchased in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do bodily work, so I do nearly all of the work on the home on my own. You possibly can be taught extra about me right here.